The Belgians have not forgotten
- Thursday 10 November, 2016 at 00:00
- Saturday 11 November, 2017 at 00:00
- Australia and Nieuw-Zealand
On the occasion of "100 years Battle of Passchendaele”, the Memorial Museum Passchendaele1917 created the traveling exhibition" The Belgians have not forgotten. "
With This exhibition the MMP 1917 wants to show that Belgium continues to remember the Firls World War and the many Australian and New Zealand Victims.
Four Australian and five New Zealand locationsIn the presence of the Belgian Ambassador, Mr. Jean-Luc Bodson, and a delegation from the Municipality of Zonnebeke, the exhibition was opened for the first time on 10 November 2016 at the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery in Launceston, Australia. In December, the exhibition moves to Warrnambool and in January to Dubbo. In February 2017 the exhibition can be seen for the last time in Australia, more specifically in Hervey Bay. Thereafter, the exhibition goes to New Zealand and visits consecutively Hamilton, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin.
Made possible through cooperation with various parties
A lot of Australian and New Zealand families lost a family member during the First World War. Many want to visit the place where their relative was killed but not everyone has the means or opportunity to make a trip to Belgium. Because the MMP1917 considers it important to tell their stories internationally, the museum created this traveling exhibition based on historical facts, archaeological discoveries, references to the landscape and video. The Federal Government and Visit Flanders provided the necessary financial and logistical support. Veterans Affairs Australia and the New Zealand Army supported the project by arranging the internal transportation.
"With this exhibition we want to put extra emphasis on the hundredth anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele. In 2017 we will open the temporary exhibition '1917, Total War in Flanders - Passchendaele, landscape at war.' For this exhibition, we work together with Westtoer and other municipalities and cities in Flanders. We will also hold many commemorations and ceremonies," said Steven Vandenbussche, Director of the Memorial Museum Passchendaele1917.
More information about the commemorations in 2017: www.passchendaele2017.org
1. Launceston: 10/11/2016 - 28/11/2016 in de Queen Victoria Museum and Gallery, 2 Invermay Rd, Invermay TAS 7248, Australië.
2. Warnambool: 09/12/2016 – 05/01/2017 Lighthouse Theatre, 185 Timor St, Warrnambool VIC 3280, Australië
3. Dubbo – 14/01/2017- 08/02/2017 in de Western Plains Cultural Centre, 76 Wingewarra St, Dubbo NSW 2830, Australië
4.Hervey Bay – 17/02/2017 – midden maart 2017 : Returned and Service League Pialba Place Shopping Centre, 11 Torquay Rd, Hervey Bay QLD 4655, Australië,
1. Hamilton – 14 April – 28 mei 2017 - Waikato Museum, 1 Grantham St, Hamilton 3204, Nieuw-Zeeland.
2. Auckland – juni/juli 2017 : Navy League of NZ (Auckland Branch), 19 Tamaki Dve Orakei Auckland 1071, New Zealand.
3. Wellington: juli/augustus 2017, National War Memorial, Taranaki St, Mount Cook, Wellington 6021, Nieuw-Zeeland
4. Christchurch –augustus/september 2017. Air Force Museum, 45 Harvard Ave, Wigram, Christchurch 8140, Nieuw-Zeeland
5. Dunedin – 22 september/november 2017 : Toitu Otago Settlers Museum, 31 Queens Gardens, Dunedin 9016, Nieuw-Zeeland.